Intro to Precision Rifle Course
Attention: Read EVERYTHING before registering!
Location: Willow Creek Wildlife, 20628 Willow Creek Rd, Fort Pierre, SD 57532
Instructors: Chris Opfer
Course Capacity: 5
This class is non-refundable!
This course will teach you the fundamentals of marksmanship and help get you and your rifle dialed in for that next hunt or maybe even your first rifle match. A portion of the day will be classroom oriented followed up with some live fire range time to work on what has been learned. We will test out your new knowledge out to a 600 yard target. A basic lunch will be provided.
Some major topics of this course:
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
- Equipment selection
- Optics - MOA vs MIL
- Zeroing a rifle
- Ballistics, ballistic solvers, and wind meters
- Introduction to wind calling
- Building a shooting position
Required equipment to bring:
- A rifle capable of 1MOA or better, zeroed at 100 or 200 yards. Maximum 30 caliber and 3200 fps. Minimum cartridge of .223 Remington. Scope with adjustable turrets and known windage marks on the reticle.
- Preferably 100 rounds of loaded ammunition (minimum of 50)
- Bipod that is low enough for prone shooting
- Shooting bag for prone and positional shooting
- Ballistic solver (Preferably a Kestrel with ballistics, but smart phone apps work as well)
- Hearing protection
- Shooting mat if desired
- Appropriate clothing for any weather possibilities!
You are expected to have some fundamentals prior to this class:
- Gun safety basics (treat all guns as loaded, always pointed in safe direction, unloaded until instructed otherwise)
- Familiar with your rifle and scope (MIL or MOA)
About the instructor:
- Chris has been shooting precision rifle competitions since 2017 with a focus on PRS matches since 2021. He has multiple wins in regional matches, one national level PRS win, and multiple top 10 finishes in national level two day matches. He is the owner of Target Hanging Solutions and has been an avid hunter with bow, shotgun, and rifle since he was a young boy and that passion is what ultimately led him to precision rifle.